* Sooke Farmland Trust 2017/18 AGM ~ Thurs. Feb. 8, 2018, 6:30 pm at InishOge Farm.
* Our winter 2015/16 series of Talks 4 Farmers
* Introducing the Sooke Region Foodshed Roundtable
* Our District of Sooke Position Paper
* The National Farmer Union's Losing Our Grip: 2015 Update
“High land values, vanishing ALR land and the loss of processing and distribution infrastructure have undermined local food systems. The Sooke Region Farmland Trust’s objective is to enrich Sooke as a place to live, work, raise families and share organic, GE-free food.”
- Mary Coll, InishOge Farm, Sooke
We in Sooke are blessed with a mild climate, beautiful land and a community that cares about preserving the land for our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. At the same time, Sooke has lost over 50 percent of its farmland since the ALR was established in 1973 One hundred years ago most of the food eaten in Sooke was grown in Sooke. Today 95 percent of our food comes from off the Island. Our stores have only a three day supply of food. What happens if the bridge goes, the road closes, the ferries stop or the ports shut down? Where will our food come from then?
The Sooke Region Farmland Trust (SRFT) is working on these issues with the same overall spirit, dedication and desire for community good as a number of other regional organizations -- the Sooke Region Community Health Initiative, Sooke Region Food CHI and Transition Sooke included.
Our purposes as filed with BC Registry Services
a) to promote agriculture in the Sooke Region by acquiring, managing and leasing land to farmers
b) to educate farmers and the public about the benefits and practices of locally produced agriculture
c) to promote, encourage and facilitate the production and distribution of food for those in need.
Our objectives include:
* Protect and preserve the remaining farmland in the Sooke region.
* Encourage new and young farmers to grow food in and for our community.
* Support and strengthen the existing farming community in the Sooke region.
We are very excited about this journey, and can only do it with your help and commitment. Please explore this site further to discover more about the Trust and how you can pitch in as a community member.
Yours in good food,
Sooke Region Farmland Trust